Thursday, February 21, 2013

Are You Catching Enough ZZZ's

Hey all!!

Hope everyone is still keeping up with those fitness goals, you are only as strong as YOU think you are! I would like to give a couple shout outs before I get in to todays topics!

I would like to commend Allycia Wade a beautiful mother who has found the strength to get back at it!! Good job girl, you get it. I am so proud of you, if you have time for fitness and health no one else has any excuses.

Elena Crespin, you are a beautiful women who has such a kind heart. She has found inspiration and as began to transform her body, so she is even more banging then she already is!! You go girl, I got your back!

Ryan Barre he is a great guy with a great heart. He has been challenging himself and getting back at it! Keep up the good work, you'll get those results you want.

Mike Hufford is a good friend of mine. He already kills it at the gym, but has helped and supported me along the way. He is also pursuing a path in the health and fitness world!! Keep on, keeping on. I support you Mike.

Lastly, I would like to thank everyone out there who is reading my blog, reposting, and forwarding my link to others. You have no idea how much it means to me, and how much I appreciate everything you guys do for me. You are all amazing and I'm so honored and touched that I am able to help you, motivate you, and educate you! Thank you!



Ok now let's talk about getting those ZZZ's and why they are so important. Sleep plays a major role in our fitness goals believe it or not. If you are not getting enough, this could keep those pounds from coming off.

The recommended number of hours is 8, no more, no less. The question is why?

Well sleep affects the levels of some hormones in your body, two in particular. Lepitn and Ghrelin these hormones play and important role in stimulating and suppressing your appetite. Your body's fat produces Leptin, which is responsible for suppressing hunger. Ghrelin on the other hand is released by your stomach, which stimulates appetite. If you are not getting enough sleep then the hormone levels lower, resulting in an increase of appetite. If you get to much this decreases your hunger, which most would think is good right?



NO, remember you need to fuel your body with enough food and nutrients, and at the right times. You want to make sure your body is consuming enough fuel to keep itself going. You do not want to put your body in starvation mode and hold on to that fat! Set that alarm clock!

For my muscle builders: after waking up your pituitary gland secretes growth hormones. They are known for aiding in building muscles. The more muscle, the more your body burns that unwanted fat! YAY!!!



Ok, overall you need to let your body rest and recover! Exercising regularly is great, but you tire your body by doing so. If you have a lack of sleep you can actually do more harm then good, injuries and illnesses. Ultimately setting you back. You need to at least have one recovery day where you do NOTHING!!! this will allow your body to heal compeltely. Also, while you are sleeping your body is healing as well. When you don't get enough and you are fatigued, your performance will drop and you will take longer to recover.



GET THAT BEAUTY SLEEP!! It is important to your overall fitness goals!! If you haven't been losing that weight sleep those 8 hours and see what happens.



I hope you like this weeks topic. Until next time...

Pistols... Out!
XO



2 comments:

  1. Great post Ashley! It's really good to be reminded to take care of the body in an all around fashion. I forget sometimes to sleep well and that can be one of the worst things I can do for my health. Thanks for breaking it down.

    I have a question about something you said about muscle building. Since the pituitary gland secretes growth hormones after waking up, does that mean that I might get better muscle growth results if I do sit ups first thing in the morning?

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathan!

    Thanks for the support and thank you for the question! It is possible to get slight more muscle growth when you do sit ups first thing in the morning. However, not enough to make a dramatic difference, but you will get them out of the way for the day!

    ReplyDelete